Thread: Baskethilt
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff,
This really is a beauty!!! and it is probably mid 18th century, a good example of the Highland baskethilt. While I'm away from my resources at the moment I wanted to comment although I know we've discussed this on another thread.
It seems that German blades prevailed on most Scottish baskethilts, and it sometime early in the 17th century the very marketing savvy German blademakers began to use established Spanish marks and names on thier products. Spanish blades had gained favorable reputation for thier quality and the German smiths simply insured marketability with these markings.

The inscription on this blade is indeed referred to as 'the Spanish motto' (Aylward, 1945) although I believe it is actually in Latin, linguists please correct me if that is not the case. Some years ago in research on Spanish colonial weapons I discovered that this motto or phrase appears to have developed sometime in the early 18th century, presumably on Spanish blades. The same wording occurred later on some French swords in French of course and if I am not mistaken, it occurs only on several Italian blades, but it is without doubt a Spanish affectation.

The hilt is of 18th century form as well, and the pommel suggests mid 18th century. The beveled blade cross section and the 'motto' suggest the blade is 18th century Solingen product, with similar combinations occurring on the familiar latter 18th century Spanish dragoon or military broadsword blades.

It would be interesting to discuss this 'motto' more and find out how many trade blades might have carried it. Could anyone out there present other examples found hilted in other hilt forms, cultural spheres? It seems these trade blades often went other directions i.e. India, Africa....anyone seen a firangi or kaskara with this motto?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote