View Single Post
Old 7th April 2019, 01:35 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

David, for the last few years it has been very, very difficult to obtain old mendak in Jawa. In fact, it has been difficult to obtain decent quality new mendak at reasonable prices, and granulated mendak seem to have disappeared altogether.

Probably 40 years ago Harjonegoro told me that there had only ever been one family in Central Jawa who were capable of doing acceptable granulation work, and that this family was now down to a father and one son, the father was elderly -- bear in mind, this was some time in the 1980's -- and there was some doubt that when he moved on the son would be able to continue work. Well it looks like the son did continue work -- or else the father moved on at a very advanced age -- because the supply of new, decent quality granulated mendak did continue for a good while. I wish I'd bought a few hundred when I could, because I have not been able to buy for years.

I'll be in Solo again shortly, and as usual I'll try to buy some decent mendak, again as usual, I expect not to be able to. High quality, silver, set with rose cut diamonds, or cubics, yes, I'll be able to buy those, but they make the total cost of a keris too expensive, so I'll pass. New, rubbish quality will also be available, but I will not waste money on those.

We need to retain and if possible, repair, the old ones.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote