View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 05:04 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am inclined to go with Mark's original assessment of this unusual composite as most probably assembled in a colonial shop in one of the Spanish colonies and in the time period he suggested. These blacksmiths accomplished remarkably serviceable swords using components at hand and creating guard elements like this to replicate a degree of then current patterns.

The 'cross' on the blade near the now indiscernible letters appears to be the 'anchor' device typically used on Solingen blades often used on swords in the colonies such as those with the Spanish motto ('draw me not without reason....etc). I have seen Spanish colonial swords fashioned in this manner using components from as many as three sword types.....but this one follows the so called 'bilbo' style well, simply without the quillons.

While the 1728 designates a year for the 'pattern' it is more the year the form was designated officially and was probably in use a time before, and certainly remained in use through the rest of the century. Actually in the colonies various 'patterns' of swords, including 'cuphilts' remained in use into the 19th century.

I have always thought Spanish colonial swords to have an inate rugged charm to them. They reflect the kind of individuals who did indeed desperately innovate and craft them for their survival as well as to preserve the traditions they held, even so far from their homeland.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote