View Single Post
Old 4th October 2023, 11:01 AM   #9
C4RL

Hello, I'm a Brit & have lived in Spain since 95, I've have had an interest in edged tools for a long time, I have a large collection of hatchets from this & surrounding counties.

I'd say the example you have originated in Spain or Portugal, possibly France & is carbon steel, I imagine 100 years old maximum, production line produced not blacksmith , the eye is the giveaway to it being cast not "wrap" forged. They are pretty common here in these three countries just like your example.

It's a hatchet, not a tomahawk, not a weapon (thought you are free to use it as you wish ).

I have many examples thought I can't shed light on your particular marking (the letters are owners initials), there were hundreds of different ones.
I also have older wrought iron hatchets that were produced in the Basque region of Spain where ore was mined, a big industry evolved making heads that were transported across "the pond" to be used for trading, loose heads packed in barrels.

Some images. (I can upload many more images, thought these are farm/smallholder tools not weapons ). Showing various cast & wrought examples, I can upload more of my examples if anyone is interested, if it's not too far off topic. Thanks.
Attached Images

C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote