View Single Post
Old 12th June 2023, 12:05 PM   #1
xasterix

Default Kris for comment

This kris sat on eBay for a long time (probably over a year). I risked buying it because I felt it was special.

After receiving it all the way from Greece, I realized the hilt was already compromised (it had a large, median crack and disintegrating hemp wrap). I decided to replace with a vintage Maguindanao hilt that I had, but still retained the original broken pommel (the crest was torn clean off).

I etched it afterwards, and was pleased with the results.

Another noteworthy thing about the kris is its scabbard plate pattern. It's non-Moro. Being familiar with some Luzon patterns, I compared it with acanthus leaf found on Spanish-era furniture. The pics I enclosed are from a 19th century comoda made either in Batangas or Laguna. I'm theorizing that a migrant Tagalog artisan in Moroland made the carving. It's also possible that the piece was captured, and the second owner decided to have it personalized in a Tagalog area.

The mixed heritage of some PH blades is really interesting, and helps flesh out the possible journey of a blade through bygone eras.
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 12th June 2023 at 12:39 PM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote