View Single Post
Old 5th January 2023, 10:52 PM   #22
Teisani

9 - Bebek György sabre

Bebek György (lived 1529-1567), became a prisoner of the Ottomans in 1562 but was released in 1565 from captivity and given this sabre by sultan Suleiman I the Magnificent.

Quote:
For his own salvation, György Bebek secretly offered Hally Pasha, who had contact with the Luminous Padisah, 50 Turkish prisoners, 10 thousand gold ducats, and many silver and gold adornments, which his worried wife, Mistress Zsófia Patócsy, sent to the Porta in Stambul. As a result of this "carrot", George Bebek was led from his place of detention to the Divan, the highest political center of the Ottoman Empire, on March 6, 1565. He was dressed in an expensive kaftan so that he could pay homage to the Sultan in a dignified manner. Bebek kissed the hand of Suleiman I, who sternly urged him to be a supporter of his Hungarian vassal, John Sigismund, and served him afterwards. At Suleiman's behest, the court officials brought forth a splendid Arabian thoroughbred, which was surrounded by a shiny, expensive horse tool. Other pashas gave him another four horses. In order not to go home as a beggar, bags of money were placed in the pockets of his robes, totalling 10 thousand ospora (aka acpe, Turkish silver coins). Among the gifts was handed over a superb saber, the main character of this article.
The blade has an inscription: Amel-i Mohammed Misri (the work of Mohammed of Egypt)
Total Length: 94cm
Blade width: 3.3cm
Weight with scabbard: 2kg

Source: https://www.szadvar.hu/2021/07/bebek-gyorgy-szablyaja/
Attached Images

Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote