View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 09:14 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Congrats on a good grab and a really fine piece!
Hello Kai,

thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Andar-andar and julung-julung are synonyms AFAIK. Very much like kalasan, they do come in all sizes and with lots of different hilt types!
Not really sure about this. Volz describe only one sword/knife as Andar-Andar and this one has a somewhat other blade shape as the ones he describe as Djulung-Djulung and here he speak only about bladeshapes. But you are correct when we go with our member Albert. And the very few swords of this type I've seen has had always sukul ngangan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
While this one may be on the shorter side of things, I'd opt for shortsword rather than knife as a description of function; as you know, the word piso refers to any kind of blade in Karo.
Yes, any kind of blade is is named piso by the Karo. In hand I would call it a long dagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
.....; the carved/cut motifs appear to be a bit unusual! Any hints that the ferrule may be fire-gilded?
Yup, have the same impression and frankly said is the carving much cruder as for example the scabbard mouth carving. A later addition? Possible IMO.
To be sure about the selut I need to let test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
A very nice match with the kalasan with blonde (or greenish) horn hilt!
Thank's again, they are indeed a nice pair!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote