View Single Post
Old 13th November 2018, 08:45 PM   #9
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Detlef,

Congrats on a good grab and a really fine piece!

Quote:
I have recently purchased a rare Karo Batak knife with Djulung-Djulung blade but I wouldn't call this knife Andar-Andar since a A-A coming normally with a sukul (handle) nganda but this knife has a sukul djering. On plate 100 from Volz is shown a very similar knife (picture 9).
Andar-andar and julung-julung are synonyms AFAIK. Very much like kalasan, they do come in all sizes and with lots of different hilt types!

Quote:
The knife is 51,4 cm long inside scabbard, 39,5 cm without, the blade alone is 29,5 cm and 7 mm thick near the handle, weight is 251 gram.
While this one may be on the shorter side of things, I'd opt for shortsword rather than knife as a description of function; as you know, the word piso refers to any kind of blade in Karo.

Quote:
Handle is scribed buffalo horn with a possible low grade gold ferrule with silver bands, scabbard mounts from silver.
As already mentioned by others: a really nice hilt; the carved/cut motifs appear to be a bit unusual! Any hints that the ferrule may be fire-gilded?

Quote:
Scabbard mouth is deeply carved in traditional manner.
The last two pictures show it together with two Karo Kalasans from my collection for size comparison.
A very nice match with the kalasan with blonde (or greenish) horn hilt!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote