View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:00 PM   #18
delor

Thanks a lot to all of you.
I'd like to add a few comments to this work. It has been very instructive to base it on informations from genuine pieces :
- one genuine kindjal that I could not show because at the time photos were from an ongoing auction,
- another one, genuine owned by Atlantia, who had been very kind to give me a number of informations about the various sizes (length, thickness, distal tape...).
I have done my best to remain as close as possible to these informations. From the first one, I took the design of the fittings and niello work. from the second one I took all the relevant dimensions.
The only noticeable difference is assembly of horn pieces for the handle. Although most of it is exactly the same as genuine kindjals, I chose not to hot bend the horn around the blade curvature, but to flatten the steel so that the horn pieces can take place with no constraint. We all have noticed that the parts of the handle often lose adjustements as times passes, and hot formed pieces never keep their exact shape. Flattening the steel takes more time and this is probably why it was not the preferred solution in old times, but for me it looked better.
Apart from this, I believe most of the work is very similar to the usual way of making kindjals.

I have been rather surprised with the usability of the resulting blade. From the measurements given by Atlantia , I was a bit afraid that the blade might be quite heavy and maybe too thick to allow a good edge. On the contrary, it appears to be very "agile", and the edge naturally came extremely sharp with no effort. It clearly shows that this design is very effective as the result of experience, use and adjustments over the years !

The small engraving on the blade is based on a common design I have seen on many others ancient objects, and is composed of a crown and a monogram. According to the client requirements, we used a police that is supposed to be "ancient slavonic", but I must say I don't know much about it...

The fittings have been made by a goldsmith I work with. He is not very familiar with those cultural codes from Caucasus and he noticed some interesting differences from the natural behaviors he already has for occidental craftsmanship. In example, the banner-like pattern that runs all along the scabbard fittings is not left / right symetrical as one would expect it to be. Not very noticeable at first look but very significative regarding the origin of the work.

I believe we now might go on with a shashka to match this kindjal. I'll let you know if this project comes to life, and maybe will ask you again for some help with your irremplacable experience concerning genuine arms.

Kind regards,
Bernard
delor is offline   Reply With Quote