View Single Post
Old 4th January 2022, 03:50 PM   #23
cel7

Default Klewang M1940??

Time to reopen this topic. Recently I bought a Klewang. It comes from a private individual who inherited it from her grandfather. Unfortunately, the woman was unable to tell how her grandfather came into possession of the klewang. In my collection I already have a model M1911, made at Hembrug in the Netherlands. At first glance, it looks like the one produced at Hembrug, but the devil is in the details. The first thing I noticed is that it is not marked anywhere, not even on the sheath.
Closer inspection reveals that it differs on a large number of points. I'll just list them here. I will call the Hembrug copy No1, the unmarked variant No2 :
-The length of the blade of No2 is 1cm longer than that of No1 (63cm vs 62cm). Both blades have the same thickness (0.45cm)
-Total length No2 is 75cm, that of No1 74.5cm
-The blade of No2 is blue/black and never sharpened. No1 is sharp.
-The blade of No2 is not sharpened evenly.
-The fuller of No2 does not have the same width on both sides. The difference is sometimes 3mm.
-Both No1 and No2 have the hilt with broken corners. However, there is a size difference between the two. The corners of No2 are rounded, those of No1 are sharp (see photo to see what I mean).
-The hilt of No2 is a fraction thicker than that of No1 (about 0.4mm)
- The sheaths are both made of brown leather and have a copper clamp and sheath tip protector as prescribed for the KNIL. The difference is in the stitching and the pop rivets with which the clamp is secured. Most striking to me is that the sheath of No2 becomes completely straight when the klewang is removed. No1 remains in his crooked position.

If I take the list of Amuk Murugul (post No8 by Ian in this topic) then the blade of the copy I have most resembles No11. The difference is that it has wooden grips and the hilt with corners. Does anyone know this version because with the specifications as described above it falls outside the scope of everything?!
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote