View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2005, 05:22 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree that John Powell's expertise is much needed to address this question here as his outstanding knowledge of these weapons is well known. Pending, and hoping for his input, I would like to offer some observations.

It seems that many ethnographic edged weapons have distinct similarities to various early iconography that suggests that thier form may have derived stylistically in degree from these sources. Jens' well placed observation concerning the kora is one of many of these instances. I believe that these atavistic possibilities reflect the distinct traditional awareness of later armourers who may have developed these often relatively recent forms recalling the weapons of their ancestors.

Rawson (p.53) notes the very likely descent of the kora from early forward angled swords from Barabadur and the Begur stone suggesting early medieval date of possibly 9th or 10th c. AD for establishment of these type swords in hill regions of Nepal . In reviewing "Indian Arms & Armour" by Pant, on p. 54-55, he concurs with Rawson on this suggestion.The examples described by Jens may similarly include developmental stages of weapons from which the kora may have derived, clearly of earlier date, and from the Deccan.

I think it is important to note that the Gurkhas, who are of course renowned for thier use of the kukri, also used the kora. The Gurkhas are predominantly descended from early Brahmans and Rajputs from which they maintain ancestry from the Kshatriya warriors of the Hindu Faith. Ethnically speaking they are also of predominantly Mongolian descent.

Much of the Deccan from central to eastern, was a bastion of South Indian Hinduism, fiercely defended by Tamil warriors from the expanding Mughal sphere. These warriors often served as mercenaries throughout the Deccan, so it would seem that weapons diffusion may certainly have moved northward and entered the Nepalese regions.

Rawson, on. p.38, depicts several of the forward curved type swords on p.53 as previously noted, and most noticeably the examples shown as 'Viragal swords,10th c.' suggest possible nominal association to the kora form. Not familiar with the term 'virigal' , I discovered that this term referred to sculptured stones called 'hero stones' and the term is Sanskrit for that description. Apparantly these Tamil monuments are found throughout the Deccan and record the heroism of these Hindu warriors, and many of them reflect depictions of the swords used, as shown in the Rawson reference.

The most distinctive features of these 'virigal' swords that allude to the kora form are the chopper/sickle type blade and especially the divided or bifurcated fishtail tip, which is in essence found on the koras dual concave tip.

I tend to believe that the kora as used by the Gurkha warriors probably developed in the familiar form rather late, and the examples most commonly seen are likely of mid 18th to 19th c. I am not aware of examples that can be confidentally dated into the 17th c. or earlier.

While it seems unclear whether the 10th century swords noted here actually maintained a steadily developing lineage into the kora form, it does seem possible that there may have been some influence iconographically as I have speculated. I do also believe that the kora in its known form probably did develop distinctly as such in Kathmandu regions, as John has maintained. I believe that the kukri supplanted the kora as a combat weapon eventually, and it seems the two have of course similar dynamics. The kora later became more of a ceremonial/sacrificial weapon and I wonder if the blade representing features of those earlier viragal swords may have associated sometime in the 18th century.

It would seem I have rambled this into an epic ! unintentionally as usual...but hope it might generate more thoughts on the development and ancestry of these interesting swords.

John! where are ya?

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 3rd September 2005 at 05:37 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote