View Single Post
Old 16th November 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Henk

Parangh Ginah definitely.

My geographic teacher at high school had some Borneo stuff on the wall. Among that a parang ginah. I recognized it immediately. He lived in Borneo he had told us and when we didn't wanted to have a difficult lesson about geography we asked him where he got that stuff on the wall from.
Bingo!! Of course he started to tell about his childhood and youth in Borneo. It was at the time that the Dayak people where turned into Christians. And a good Christian didn't woreship skulls from enemies. And certainly didn't have a weapon to chop heads off. The priest told them to get rid of these things and the Dayak went to the villages where the Dutch lived and went from door to door selling skulls and weapons.
My teacher wanted to buy some skulls but his mother didn't approve it Always mothers and wives
He was very disapointed so his mother allowed him to buy some weapons to support the poor Dayak in his new religious believe.

I still remember him and even still know his name. Mr. Meyer, leaning backwards in his chair, smoking his pipe when he told us these stories. Those good old days.