View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:15 PM   #7
harrywagner

Default Another attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Harry, before you start burning holes in your bone (which is the most probable material here) or, heaven forbid, catching fire to or exploding some possible bakelite replacement , try making some better photos for us to examine.
It is one thing to have to restore nice antique pieces that have been damaged over time by abuse and the environment. It's another to have to repair your own damage. I think many of us have been aware of this hot pin method for many years, but it is not something i would personally pursue on a piece i cared about and there are ways to determine ivory from bone without having to damage you collections .
Thanks David, and others. I did OK on the first of the tests that Helleri recommended, but the second test is a real killer. I hope these are better photos. I have included some closeups of the grips also. I am confident they are bone and they may provide a good comparison. With the small hand-held microscope I have the inserts do not appear to be the same material as the grips. I had not considered that they might be enamel, only because I don't recall ever seeing enamel on a Choora before. Is that a common material used for edged weapons in this part of the world?

With regards to the name I can only say that I think it would be correct to call all Choora Pesh Kabz, but not all Pesh Kabz should be called Choora. I think that name is limited to Afghanistan only, and only to this specific blade style. That is my understanding anyway.

Thanks again everyone!
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote