View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2010, 02:29 AM   #53
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
More on Andean metallurgy, not that you asked (UT-Dallas lecture link).

As for trade across the Bering Strait, I'd need to know more about what the Yakuts were using, since I'm pretty ignorant about that part of the world.

Best,

F
well yakuts have been using steel for a long time and had long bladed weapons swords and pole weapons , metal armor ect...

but they only came recently to such a distant area i think the 1500s, time russians were exploring through the area. a little before maybe... their homeland was further south ,,
their metal working is siberian, but siberia has a long history of metal working,, and all tribes understood it to some degree , some in an advanced level others much less. ,. although some isloated groups used till quite recent stone and bone a lot due to its abundance,, you need mines for metals for regular trade and if you dont there is free things also like stones,
is suspect the Eskimos ancestors came from Siberia with prior metal working knowledge.. as they havent been in north america longer than metal has been used by their folk on the russian side of the water.
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote