View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:17 PM   #9
kai

Thanks, Jim!

I'd lean towards identifying it as a tilan(g) kamarau from the Iban. These often have more slender blades but also other blade shapes are known. The engraving does seem to be Iban; also hilts with unusual carvings are not rare with this not very homogenous group (with widely distributed sub-groups).

In Albert's book referenced above, there is a piece with somewhat similar blade shown on page 84. It is identified as jimpul; I believe it fits better with the tilan(g) kamarau though. Iban swords can be pretty varied and often present a mix of features; some may be historical intermediates. However, in most cases I'd assume these to be just variants that defy simple classification. Let's just celebrate the creativity and diversity without spending too much time on pigeon-holing!

There is another group of swords with symmetrically sharpened edge from northern Borneo. You can find examples by searching for gayang on this forum; it's not relevant for your piece IMHO.

Quote:
I am really curious on that odd fixture off the blade.
That's a pretty typical krowit as also often seen on mandau and other Borneo blades.

Quote:
The inscribing is also curious, it seems deeply applied but not like usual style, more carved.
Iban engraving looks a bit different from what you might recall from Kayan or Modang blades.

Quote:
There are spots in the hilt where something round is missing...what would have been there?
It's likely that these held more hair. Any remnants of resin left?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote