View Single Post
Old 20th January 2023, 08:43 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Mexican Rurales saber 1870s

This well beaten saber is believed to be from one of the corps of 'Guardia Rural' (rurales) which were constabulary forces in Mexico from 1860s. This force was created by presidente Benito Juarez in 1861. These forces though under federal jurisdiction operated as auxiliary to those forces, however typically remaining largely autonomous as located in remote areas.

They acquired a rather notorious reputation as brutal, and are said to seldom take prisoners, but most always, 'got their man'. During the French 'intervention' they were essentially disbanded, however with the reconstruction of the Republic in 1870s, Porfirio Diaz reinstituted the Rurales forces in 1877.

While mostly situated in the Mexico City sphere, there were units of these Rurales developed in many of the Mexican states farther out and these were somewhat independent of federal control.

The Rurales overall were described as 'heavily armed carrying cavalry saber, Remington carbines, lassos and pistols'.

With my example, which is as noted, pretty rough, it appears the guard has been bent by perhaps trampling by a horse? The pommel is embellished with a centavo, which is deformed and cannot see date.

The guard is marked with RM (Republica Mexico) and sunburst. I am uncertain of the marking on the blade forte.

While it is tempting to presume this saber is of the Porfirio period (1877) it does not have the familiar RM with liberty cap on the blade, nor the more often encountered AC Mexico.

I think this is earlier (from late 1860s and Juarista) and most likely from rural regions in outer Mexican state.

I would appreciate any thoughts or input, and especially other examples (less 'used').
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote