View Single Post
Old 16th December 2022, 12:20 AM   #6
Pitt1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
I can't help but for me numbers 2, 3 and 4 are looking like kitchen knifes
That is a problem with collecting Sardinian edged weapons. Sardinian swords (leppa de chintu, abbreviated to LDC for convenience) tend to look pretty distinct if it is a higher quality example, well engraved brass plates on the hilt with the scabbard usually of matching quality. The lower quality examples carried by shepherds and the like are more difficult to identify because they lack the elements that make the high quality examples easily identifiable. The more simple examples are horn or wood hilted like mine rather than having the finely decorated metal hilt plates present in the high quality blades. The blades also differ, but don't seem to change often between high and low status examples. The sword length weapons, LDC, can often be found with recycled sword blades which I read in one article came from Spanish swords. But there were (and still are) also high quality blades forged in Sardinia. The knives carried by common men were more than likely made using recycled steel or worn out tools. I have seen at least one example that appeared to be made out of a file or rasp.
Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote