View Single Post
Old 7th June 2023, 06:57 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi WW:

Interesting piece you have there. I took your picture and outlined where the maximum width of the blade occurs. It is actually on the hilt side of the blade rather than further towards the tip. A Palawano badung has a much more forward-weighted blade, with the maximum width closer to the tip than the hilt. Thus, this is not a Palawano badung IMHO. It is more in keeping with a Sulu blade that has been dressed in another fashion.

In the following picture, I have shown the line of maximum width on your blade and also two arrowed features of your scabbard: one is the slanted area of attachment for a string belt; the other is a small "wing" to the throat of the scabbard on its bottom side.

Name:  Chavacano bolo 2.png
Views: 442
Size:  626.9 KB

Now compare this arrangement with a Zamboanga bolo. There is the same slanted attachment for the belt and a similar wing on the scababrd. Also, the hilts are made from similar light-colored hardwood and are consistent with a Zamboanga origin.

Name:  Chavacano bolo.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  36.9 KB

Here are some further pictures of that bolo, which is probably of WWII vintage.

Name:  Chavacano bolo--blade-2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  Chavacano bolo--blade-1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  90.9 KB

And here is an old picture of Chavacano men wearing these bolos. The similar scabbard styles to yours are readily apparent.

Name:  Chavacano men with bolos.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  180.9 KB

To summarize, I think you have either a Sulu barung blade dressed in Chavacano fashion, or a bolo made and assembled in Zamboanga.

Last edited by Ian; 7th June 2023 at 07:21 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote