View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:04 AM   #20
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The idea of the Naga is widespread in Asia. Yes, origin is Hindu, and from there into Buddhism. It is a Sanscrit word and in Sanscrit it means a being that is in the form of a large snake. There are a number of Nagas, probably most important amongst them is Vasuki or Basuki, who is the essence that binds the earth. In the Gita, Krishna when explaining how he could be everywhere at the same time said that as a serpent he was Vasuki.

To those who are not familiar with Hindu beliefs, it is easily understandable that the Naga can be taken as the dragon and as such as a symbol of China. Cirebon was founded fairly recently, around 1470 or 1480 I think, and as a Muslim state. That the founders of Cirebon took the Naga as a symbol of China is perfectly understandable..
The opinion above is what written in Mr Rokhmin Dahuri's book that I mentioned. But according to "wayang" (javanese traditional puppet leather) story, naga figure known as "Antaboga". (See the picture, Central Java version and West Java version).

Sang Hyang Antaboga, or Sang Hyang Nagasesa or Sang Hyang Basuki is the ruler of the base of the earth. His royal palace called Kahyangan Saptapratala, or 7th layer in the base of the earth. His wife was named as Dewi Supreti, and had two children: Dewi Nagagini and Naga Tatmala. Although the palace in underneath the earth, the story of wayang told us that the situation is almost the same as in the other "kahyangan" above or on the earth...

And the garuda figure, in the wayang story, called as "Jatayu" or "Jetayu". This jumbo bird figure, was dead because of fighting with king of Alengka, Dasamuka who was kidnapping the wife of Rama, Dewi Sinta... (See the picture)

Hope this information is useful for you...

Ganjawulung
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
To somebody unfamiliar with the Javanese language "mundhak" would sound as "munda".

"Kenci" is in fact a legitimate word in Javanese, it is a singkatan ( abbreviation) for "kertu cilik"---"small card", and refers to the small playing cards that are used in dominoes and other card games. However, I sincerely doubt that it has an application in reference to anything at all to do with the keris.
Yes, "mundhak" is a very very common word in Java. For instance, "mundhak gedhe" means becomes bigger, or "mundhak cilik" means becomes smaller... But, "lar munda"? I am still in my opinion: this is not the correct term for a certain dhapur in keris. "Lar munga" maybe acceptable, for mentioning the "manglar munga" dhapur with figure of naga and garuda...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote