View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2007, 06:17 PM   #15
ganjawulung

Default Symbolism of a Garuda-Naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Do you know anything about the symbolism/attributes of a Garuda-Naga?
Dear Michael,
As far as I know, motives in keris symbolized the influence of certain culture or cultures from outside Java in their past history. As in Cirebon (Islamic kingdom in West-Central Java, in 15th century). The had their royal chariot, named as "paksi-naga-liman" (garuda/bird-naga-elephant) which was the ornaments of such symbolism. According to the reliable source, paksi-naga-liman symbolized the influence of three external cultures: Egypt (paksi), China (naga), India (liman or elephant). Please see this book "Budaya Bahari: Sebuah Apresiasi di Cirebon" (Maritime Culture: An Appreciation in Cirebon) by Prof Dr Rokhmin Dahuri MS (2001, State Printing of Indonesia).
You may see these three cultures influenced very much Cirebon kingdom, from the architecture of their old palaces (Kanoman and Kasepuhan in Cirebon), and also from their old ornaments, their expression of arts. Cirebon was an Islamic kingdom, but their anchestors were from Segaluh and Pajajaran (Buddha and Hindhu kingdoms in West Java). And their strongest sultan, Sunan Gunung Jati was half Middle east blood, or Egyptian blood. But had Chinese wife, Ong Tin Nio from the Ming dynasty (the tomb of Ong Tin Nio is still existed in Cirebon, in the Gunung Jati cemetery complex).
[QUOTE=VVV
I have also been told that another name of it is a Naga Lar Seluman Kenci (sorry if the description words are in the wrong order as my Indonesian language abilities are mostly used for ordering food?).
Michael[/QUOTE]
Naga = great snake, dragon, symbolism of Chinese influence. Lar = literally means "wing". Seluman or siluman = invisible creature. Kenci? I don't think that this word exist in Indonesian or Javanese language.

I hope this will help you, Mike..

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote