View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I have a problem with the very concept of a "dancing sword".
I just cannot believe that in any warlike culture ( and Omanis certainly were warlike) anybody would spend money and effort to acquire a sword used only for occasional ceremonial/entertainment purpose. Correct me if I am wrong, but that would be considered as a dishonor for the fighter displaying his macho attributes ( that is what a sword dance is all about).
Dancing with swords is a time-honored tradition in many cultures ( Caucasus, for example), but it always involved real weapons. This was a display a masculinity, a sacral activity, and using a non-fighting blade would defeat the purpose. On top of that, swords were not cheap, and making a blade for occasional dancing only would be an awful waste of money. Dancing would not damage the real blade, thus, there was no reason to substitute it for a flimsy copy.
The elasticity of Omani kattaras is not an argument against it's fighting capabilities: witness Indian Urumi, the custom of Caucasian blademakers to sell their blades fit into a circular kitchen sieve, old German legends about the sword of Siegfried that bent like a sheave when carried on the shoulder etc.

Aravian fighting style did not have blade to blade contact, and mail was not used as a rule. Thus, light thin blade was more than sufficient for a slashing cut against an opponent who was wearing only fabric robes.

Per Elgood, the most valuable blades of the 19th century in Arabia were European Shinityan ( St. Etienne) and Majjar ( Magyar, Hungarian), both famous for their elasticity. No European blades of that time was known to bend under its own weight.

The development of specifically dancing swords was thus most likely related to the period when swordfighting became obsolete. Again, this would be similar to the Caucasian theatrical swords used by choreography troupes.

Salaams Ariel,
Firstly; I have never used the arguement of sword elasticity against its fighting capability.
Secondly; I'm afraid I have to correct you since Omani swords developed differently..The flexible sword is only for Pageants.

They have one battlesword; The Sayf al Yamaani. I think you have one no? Does it have a stamp?
The later dance and pageant flexible design entered the equation probably in the reign of Sayyid Said bin Sultan in about 1840.
Lots of European swords developed elasticity and even the Shotley Bridge maker (of German ancestry ) made a great flexi blade that he concealed in his top hat and astounded clients and onlookers at an arms fair.
It may help to unhinge somewhat in considering the country that Oman was at the time... It was by definition still very much in the dark ages and visitors were few... hardly any ventured outside the capitals city walls... it was like that up to the mid 20th century. Witnesses are few and their accounts are interesting but suspect because they are often vague. What is equally important is the fact that weapon freeze occurred in the case of the Sayf Yamaani and it continued to be used into the 19th C and Iconised even today..I have one being Iconised with the Royal Hilt now. Techno freeze was prevalent in countries like Oman with extremes of terrain, climate, warring tribes etc and outlined by Anthony North in his book on Islamic Arms.

Good pageantry dance swords are well sought after.. A sword doesnt need to be a battle sword to be collectible after all... Look at court swords for example.
Some of the pageant blades are excellent... but that on its own doesnt make them fighting weapons. Pageant and dance only. That was and is what they were for.
The swords are sharpened to razor pitch in honour of the forefathers who went before... and probably fought years ago with the real weapon, itself extremely sharp; The Sayf Yamaani. The elasticity is so that they can be buzzed in the air with a wrist flic. The round end is for touching the opponents shield hand to score a winning point in the mimic fight.

It is a fact that when researching swords the tendency is to stray into logic and common sense and where both these factors are screaming "battle sword" !! when in fact it is not. It has tricked many people down the ages especially when observing the apparently violent antics of the mimic fight scene in the Funoon. Its just an act. Its a very importand tradition however and good blades for this are well sought after... see the main discussion on Kattara for comments and please post your sword pictures there if you can..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 23rd March 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote