View Single Post
Old 14th March 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi A.alnakkas,
thanks, I'm quite pleased with it ....much better quality than I thought it would be (only had pictures before)

Salaams Ibrahiim,
I can see your point, but the blade does not fit your description of a dancing sword blade.

Blade is not flexible enough to bend 90 degrees ....this one around 45 degrees similar to a lot of British regulation swords I have in my collection. The steel seems of good quality and as mention before the edges are sharp ...a gentle honing would create a very keen edge. "touching the thumb" of a 'dance' partner with this particular blade could leave them 'thumb-less'.
I am not saying that this is a battle sword .....but its not a dance one either. Perhaps this was made to order with a more functional blade

Kind Regards David
Salaams katana ~ This is a dancing sayf of that we have no doubt. In fact it looks like a Salalah job... made recently in a new factory . Where was it found ... ? Yes touching the opponents thumb( the shield hand thumb) sounds hazzardous I agee and it amazes me how not more thumbless people are about. As for lethality, some are razor sharpand I have seen demos of people chopping all sorts of stuff (melons bottles of water ) in half with these but in the entirity of Omani history it has never been a battle weapon as such. Pageant only.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote