View Single Post
Old 17th April 2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ibrahiim,
Excellent work!!! and I think you may be onto something here. These are unusual 'dragonhead' quillon terminals, a fixture long standing in Ottoman context deriving from Timurid and Safavid styling as far back as 15th century, and further heritage to Saljuq types.

What seems unusual is that these highly stylized examples appear to be quite similar, and shown with examples reflecting other motif and fixtures compellingly shown to be likely Zanzibar products. In the case of these rather blockish terminals they seem to carry the same basic design, which only remotely reflects the typically Ottoman forms seen on many hilts from India, Afghanistan, Turkey and even into Bosnia.

While we may recognize these particular examples of nimcha with these similar features as Zanzibar products, it is important to note that these represent classification by motif rather than as a distinct hilt form as was the case with the D loop guard.

I have found further examples of this hilt feature in a nimcha stated from a specific workshop for the Ottoman court of Murad III (r.1574-95) and is seen in "The Silver Dragon and the Golden Fish", David Alexander, 'Gladius XXIII, 2003. This is illustrated in "Arts of the Muslim Knight", Bashir Mohamed, Furissiya Art Foundation 2008 .

On this sword which has the characteristic nimcha style hilt, with quillons and the 'ring' guard, and the pommel has the familiar hand nock and a peaked backstrap .
Most interesting on the blade, is a mark grouping with three orbs having projecting lines, an Italian mark known on numerous blades. This same mark appears (op.it. AMK, p.176) on an Ottoman dagger blade believed from Bosnia 17th c. These attributed to Arnaut admirals and corsairs of Algerian regions.

Clearly these instances reflect the hilt form, as well as the ring guard, to end of the 16th century, again emphasizing the influence in these elements from Italian sources, and entering into the Ottoman/Arab sphere in this early period.

Salaams Jim... Superb detail and as usual impeccable references ... I believe that places the ancient design in the right area. Actually purely by accident this time ... the thread on Nimchas is kind of split, however, it is well balanced and anyway is well placed in Library. I am searching for the kind of chunky geometric ironwork seen on the Quillons which I know is an African trait... and also appears in Portuguese and Dutch iron/brass on handles and lock plates on Chests...The type of Chest was very much copied and adorned with heavy wood carving and the same sort of metalwork... In Zanzibar ~!!! Thank you for your post.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote