View Single Post
Old 27th February 2023, 01:09 AM   #40
JoeCanada42

well the letter marks on the coins are from the mint locations that is explained.
the Dutch letter marks were otherwise associated with Dutch offices in the companies colonies. I will find the info I found and post it....

as for the sword I posted a Dutch Klewang?!, thanks for that bit of info,
but isn't it a bit atypical ?, id say more Mandau then Dutch, certainly a hybrid of a sort, the handle and tip being Mandau style...

the other marks with my G what do you think they were for or associated with? could they not be added or inscribed earlier?

I'm not necessarily saying the G on my sword is an Osborn mark, but I wont rule it out.
I am postulating it is an acquisition mark, British company bought out the bankrupt Dutch and sent stock home for sale?
or maybe swords made by Osborn intended for officers stationed in Galle received this mark. ?

when did the origin of the Klewang style start? and with who?

the G is exactly the same as the Osborn marks,, but not the coins,

And maybe Osborn had a reason or desire to make a klewang / mandau style sword blade?
one theory I have supports yours but implies my blade to be older , the other kind of says its not really a G associated with Osborn but with Galle. I'm thinking most likely as acquisition mark not export destination.
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote