Thread: Bronze keris ?
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2017, 01:11 AM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
My question is would the bronze make this more powerful or talismanic than the usual kris?
I believe that would all depend on the intent and purpose of the keris. I belief that Alan has suggested that bronze may have been used in certain keris because it was seen as a more appropriate metal for a blade used in blood sacrifice. However that is a more practical, albeit spiritual use for a blade, not necessarily talismanic. I could be wrong, but i am not sure there is any metal considered to hold more talismanic properties in this part of the world than iron. But if you are Hindu and making a blood sacrifice bronze might be preferable.
Marius, the only reason i might personally prefer a solid gold keris would be to melt it down and sell the ingot to buy an authentic old bronze one, which i gather are somewhat rarer than ones of gold. AFAIK no other metals are considered appropriate for a true keris other than iron and bronze. A gold one would be nothing more than sculpted money, yes? Does anyone have any photos of a bronze blade that could be considered authentic? If so it would be great to see one here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote