View Single Post
Old 17th February 2015, 06:35 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for reviving that thread Gustav. I had forgotten about it and for some reason did not see it when i was reviewing the archives on the subject. As you might image, my thinking seems most in line with Marto Suwignyo on that thread who sums up with the following:
The argument for a Durga attribution that you have precised seems to indicate that Phillipovich is using a similar style of logic to that which others have applied in naming this form "Durga". For instance, I have in front of me eight handles with a female form.Three are variations of the wadon form which we have been discussing, one is an abstract but unmistakeably female form,another is an even more abstract form, one is Rangda, one a more or less normal female, the last is a nightmare with female characteristics.Of all these figures, only Rangda is easily identifiable. The others could be anything, and an argument could be constructed to support almost any attribution. In fact, I could probably construct a more convincing argument that any one of these figures is in fact Little Red Riding Hood, than any argument I have yet heard to support the Durga attribution for our original handle form.

Wolviex, you ask:-

"So my question is, is there any other goddess/deity covering herself?"

I`m not at all certain that this is the right question, Wolviex.
Do we yet have a proof that the figure depicted is in fact covering herself? I think not.
Do we yet have a proof that the oft mentioned veil is in fact a veil? I think not.
Do we yet have a proof that the depictation is indeed a deity? I think not.
Do we yet have a proof that we are in fact looking at Durga? I think not.

Now in my example posted here it does seem most likely that the figure is in fact covering herself. If not then i don't know quite what else is supposed to be depicted here.
Whether this is intended to be a veil or not might still be in question though. In this example the covering seems almost like a helmet.
I cannot say that there is proof of divinity here, but it seems likely. The hands are seen a mudra position which is often the case in statues depicting Hindu deities.
As for the Durga question, i still see nothing that specifically ties this figure to her though any of the symbolic gestures or poses of the figure, nor to Rangda/Calon Arang for that matter. I am afraid that i cannot accept such an identification based solely on the fact that "all the authors agree on this interpretation in absence of any other one", especially when as far as i can tell, these authors have presented no logical argument for such an identification.
Perhaps this will remain a mystery, but that mystery is just too enticing not to at least continue the search. Perhaps there is some clue in the Balinese name "Balu Mekabun", especially the widow part???
David is online now   Reply With Quote