View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaukudi
Wooden hilts are among collectors less valued that antler however they are interesting as the carved is more free to carve what he wants.
Count me out Arjan! I'm interested in the carvings and not the material of which it was made off.

Quote:
What is interesting is that your handle looks to have the overall basic shape of a Kayan hilt ( with larges eyes crossed by arms) but with complete other motifs however the back has a quite kayan looking design.
It's quite interesting as there are some features which I've seen in Mendalam handles, but here it's just carved a little different and overall missing those clearly aso motifs we see on Mendalam handles often.
(FI the back of the handle of a mendalam handle I attached next to Roy's. It has a similarity as Roy's but also performed a little different)...
A second motif (in the middle on both sides of the handle), we see this strange deeper motif -> In Mendalam handles we often see here a carved vault, with or without teeth and a lot of aso's around (which misses on Roy's though).
PS. I'm NOT implying it's Mendalam, as I'm sure it's not but I see some style copied here, but performed different.
But according the handle my theory (and ofcourse assumption as I've no proof) is that it could be from the Sarawak area above the Mendalam tribes (or from a tribe which had connections with the Mendalam's), considering the motifs on the handle.

Quote:
Another feature ,not yet mentioned, is that the hilts ends are closed, there are no drilled or carved holes in it, so it was seemly mentioned not to attach ( human) hair to it. Maybe it was because the owner was too young and not "powerful" enough to carry hair bundles ? Was that maybe also the reason that this hilt was made out of wood ? Was it maybe a young well skilled boy who got the second hand blade from his father ?
Couldn't think about these speculations myself though.. : )

PS what do you think about the wooden piece instead of the resin ring?

Maurice
Attached Images

Last edited by Maurice; 2nd April 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote