View Single Post
Old 20th February 2019, 01:38 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually I cannot see reason for expecting correction as this cabasset seems well identified and with comparable examples well presented as corroborating evidence. The armourers mark, though slightly indiscernible seems quite like that shown in the Gyngell reference as Spanish 16th c.

This type of morion helmet was well known in these times and into the 17th century across Europe and in England, termed the 'pear stalk' helmet for the curious projection at the peak of the almond shaped dome. As noted, these were well known in Spain, but in Portugal as well, and I recall research on a similar type helmet concerning the famed Rembrandt painting "The Man in the Golden Helmet". This painting was completed c. 1650-55, but as of recent findings, probably by one of his students rather than him.

Apparently, in Indian Goa, from 1550-80 there were five of these type helmets made in gilt repousse for the Vice royalty of Goa. One of these was captured and later taken to the Azores. It is believed that Rembrandt owned one of these gilt cabassets in his well known arms collection.

We can only speculate if this may have been the source for the theme of the 'golden helmet' painting. It does seem clear that artistic license is at play with the ear flaps added, which are of course a mid 17th c. feature from the lobster tail helmets.

Whatever the case, these are intriguing helmets, and the case of the missing Goa ones always comes to mind for me. Otherwise, these are considered well known common helmets in varying range of use.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote