View Single Post
Old 9th October 2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Jim, in busily researching this interesting sword, I neglected to welcome you to the forum. While I realize you are probably not a weapons collector per se and simply researching a family heirloom, I have found this a real opportunity, not just because I'd like to give you as much information as I can...but because I have honestly learned a good deal from your sword.

It seems that actually most of the blades made for Dutch military type swords had been produced in Solingen from the 17th century onward, and often these were furbished in Belgium and through the years through often French intermediaries. In looking at your blade, I had failed to notice a very important key marking, that of a quatrefoil type cross or rosette (next to the 1787), so I decided to look further. I had mentioned that other blades with 1787 had been found on a Scottish baskethilt (clearly remounted) as well as a blade with the same type 'Amsterdam' VOC marking and of 18th century form.
The Scottish sword was found in South Africa while the other blade was excavated in Germany I believe.

I found also that the marking on the blade was known as the cloverleaf, and it is unclear where these were actually applied or their meaning. I know that the four point 'cross' image is often seen on Solingen blades used as a kind of invocative motif separating words in inscriptions, and that the cloverleaf was at some point a marking used in Germany. Along with many markings these were typically a kind of acceptance or approval device.

It would seem that the 1787 number might well have been an accepted date or year of perhaps a contract out of Solingen for blades, with this same method used in other key years, but more research would be needed to determine for sure.

It would be tempting here to note however, that given the movement and trade activity of these weapons and thier components through Belgium, from Germany and to Amsterdam dealers and French intermediaries, this sword may well have been in Belgium in the Napoleonic period. While it is a naval type sword, I would offer that though it may not have been used by your ancestor, it could well have been obtained by him there as a souvenier.
Certainly speculative, but there is often far more complexity in historical events than realized or included in long standing and commonly known accounts, as seen by the ever revealing discoveries that continue to be made.

The true study of historical weapons is not just matching them to pictures in a book, but venturing into every avenue of associated clues, and by doing so we can often discover what they are trying to tell us.

Thank you for sharing a truly fascinating sword, and hopefully you will preserve it faithfully as a valuable artifact in your family history.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote