View Single Post
Old 28th July 2005, 01:40 AM   #1
kai

Default Evidence for fake Moro Kris / Keris Sundang?

Are there any fake Moro Kris which have been verified? (I'm excluding later Kris without separate gangya since these are not antique anyway. And also the Indian wannabees are easy to spot...)

I gather that there will be exceptions to the general rule of thumb for assessing the age of a Kris (Keris Sundang) based on the gangya configuration. It's also stipulated that fittings have often been swapped between blades. Recently, I've even seen Kris blades fitted with brass hilts which seemed to be a recent marriage... (While this has most likely been done to enhance sales and the latter example pretty much stretches it, I'd not consider this faking per se since the age of the piece hasn't been intentionally misrepresented.

However, given that for just about anything else there are many fake "antiques" being manufactured in the Philippines (and elsewhere!), I'd have expected that people start forging new kris with separate gangya again (and artificially age them). Any observations?

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 28th July 2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Removed link not pertinent to the general question
kai is offline   Reply With Quote