View Single Post
Old 8th February 2009, 11:30 PM   #18
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
... Also, the duble handed sword, was not a weapon from the times of El Cid, but a weapon more common in the Modern Era, thatīs it, from the end of the 15th Century and forward, and although it already existed at the end of the Middle Ages, it was more often used in this time the hand and a half sword, with a little bigger blade and hilt than the one hand sword. So, the sword used by Charlton Heston on the movie, is another Hollywood invention. The two handed sword is a response to the single plaque armour from the Modern Era, and you can see it much more often on the hands of warriors from the Renaissance, like the landsknechts.
Hello Gonzalo,

Thanks for pointing this out

When I posted above the poster of the El Cid movie, I was actually meaning to ask everyone what would be the historical and technical inaccuracies in the movie. Thus thanks for elaborating on this particular item!

Well we all know Hollywood ... they tend to abuse "poetic license".

Like I'm also a (modern) firearms enthusiast. And one of the common rules in firearms handling as many of us know is that "forget everything you learned from Hollywood!" ...