View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A VERY PRETTY AND INTERESTING PIRA, IT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OLDER PIRA FORM AND MAY HAVE INFLUENCES FROM MALAYSIA OR INDONESIA. I LIKE TO THINK OF THIS FORM AS A HORNBILL BIRD THE BLADE BEING THE HEAD AND THE HANDLE SPIKE THE LONG TAIL FEATHERS. PERHAPS DIVING DOWN TO CATCH SOMETHING TO EAT.
Thanks Vandoo. I must confess that in this case I took the entire concept in a basis of shape, trying not to get too involved in historical terms, knowing that if I did too much research, then my creativity would be tied up by acquired knowledge.

Quote:
THERE IS ALWAYS THE QUESTION DID THE OLDER PIRA FORM ORIGINATE IN THE PHILIPPINES OR WAS IT INFLUENCED FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE?
I'm sure someone can clarify this. So far what I know comes from the HOS exhibition.

Quote:
I LIKE THE NEW PIRA AND THE WORKMANSHIP IS VERY GOOD I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE BLADE. IT IS INTERESTING TO SEE ALL THE PLANNING AND DRAWINGS AS WELL AS THE WORK IN PROGRESS. WE USUALLY ONLY GET TO SEE A ANTIQUE WITH NO PROVENANCE AND ONLY WHAT IS WRITTEN IN BOOKS TO GO ON, SO THIS GIVES SOME UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW THE WORK WAS DONE.
True, specially since Paolo has kept his tools very close to the tribal smith, mainly the charcoal forge.

Actually me and my wife were in Manila last year for a weekend, and we were superbly treated by my friend Anton and his lovely wife and by Paolo and his lovely wife Suzy.

Quote:
THOUGH SOME NEWER TOOLS AND TECKNIQUES MAY NOW BE USED. THE ONLY THING MISSING IN THE NEW PIRA ARE THE OLD RITUALS AND MAGICICAL BELIEFS THAT WENT INTO THE MAKEING OF THE OLD TRIBAL ONES WHICH ARE LOST AND NO LONGER PRACTICED.
Yes, the elephant trunk was removed. I could not mime a ritual, specially not being native and having no knowledge. The most honest thing was to keep it as I viewed it, away from the initiates.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote