View Single Post
Old 16th April 2014, 01:36 PM   #25
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Dana, i have no words !
Definitely this grip and mine were made by the same workshop ... or even the same smith; not to say both swords came out from the same origin.
Can you advance some further info on this example ... a link, a description, anything ?
Tha would be rather interesting, not to say vital, for my sword record.
Hi fernando, I just knew that you'd want too see this cup hilt. I can't tell you much about it with any certainty. There are two contradictory stories and I have not been able to verify either of them. I know that it was purchased by father over ten years ago in St. Augustine Florida.

One story has it belonging to Georges Biassou, a slave who became a leader of the 1791 Haïtian Revolution. He fought with Spanish royalists against the French Revolutionary authorities in colonial Haïti. In 1795 Biassou moved to St. Augustine.

Another person has told me that they once owned the sword, and that it was purchased at a European auction house in the 90s.

I am working on the photos today. If you'd like I can post more images here when I am done along with the measurements. Maybe you and Jim can help me with the description...?

Last edited by dana_w; 16th April 2014 at 01:53 PM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote