View Single Post
Old 21st February 2005, 08:25 AM   #11
eftihis

Hallo all, I have seen this particular pattern of handle decoration in a dagger described as "Montenegrin" in the good and accurate German dagger book of Herman Historica.
I am not near my books at the moment, i will scan the page and post a photo when i will!
In a way it is also "turkish" since it was made in a place belonged to the ottoman empire at that time, and the "original prototype" was a turkish bichaq dagger, that just took its local style and appearance.
This can be purely accidental, ie just a smith or silverworker that works in a particular style, people like what he makes, he has some students that continue this style, and this way a local variation or "school" is made.
The same is happening with Cretan daggers, and what make them special to me is that i am from Crete and they were made on my island.
Radu, thanks for understanding my feelings, be sure i wil be looking for something for you from Rumanian past.
Yiannis (by the way, nice teeth!), i will have something for you so that you will stop complaining... (maybe we will have some raki first though, so that it will look more beautifull!)
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote