Thread: New mandau
View Single Post
Old 20th August 2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Koch
Maurice, yes, this forum is packed with good threads on Bornean blades and I'm all over them already! Your site is also really nice, and I've had much pleasure from Roth's text - thank you for making that available! I would also LOVE to receive a copy of your article - even though its in Dutch. - I don't know if you've ever talked to a Dane while drunk, but I can assure you that Danish and Dutch are actually quite understandable if in writing or if both parties speak slow. - I have plenty of academic articles to trade with, let me know if you're looking for something in particular!
This forum has very good threads about Bornean blades! You can also see the differences between the authentic old ones, authentic newer ones, and the touristic ones, when scrolling through all threads.
I don't think I would be able understanding a drunk Dane and he wouldn't probably understand me, but I can forward you the article. (I did send you a pm with my emailaddress).
I don't need anything in return. But if you have some academic articles about Borneo, I would like to read them if you would be so kind sharing them with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Koch
I"ll for sure get some better pictures taken of the ricasso area and the brass windings. Would be great if the origin could be narrowed down to an area or culture.
Brass windings were used on old mandaus but also on new mandaus. It would be hard to determine the age on the brass wire (and almost impossible) as it could be cleaned also.
Your mandau is a mandau from Sarawak, probably Iban tribe in my opinion.

Rg,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote