View Single Post
Old 7th February 2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Pukka Bundook

Lovely solid looking musket, even if it is in bits, J.

Here's what I was looking for, from "Firearms of the Islamic World" (Elgood)P,163 -4;

"A Scottish mercenary, Col. George Sangster, who previously served the Jat chiefs of Gohad, was employed by de Boigne in 1790 to establish an arsenal at Agra. Sangster, who was trained as a gun-founder and manufacturer before becoming a mercenary in India, cast excellent cannon and made muskets as good as the European models for ten Rupees each, though one account says his flintlocks were inferior.
Amongst the guns that he made were matchlocks with bayonets and an *Improved Lock* in which the pan was automatically uncovered by a spring released when the trigger was pulled.
De Boigne's forces included Najibs, men of good family who adopted a semblance of European military practice and were much respected, Pathans, Rohillas and high-cast Hindus.
They were traditionally armed with matchlock, shields and swords, but these were replaced with the new pattern matchlock, with a bayonet."

He goes on to say that it is difficult to identify any of the arms made by Sangster and Legge.
Sangster died in 1792 in Lucknow.

I think that beyond reasonable doubt, you have a Sangster matchlock here, J.!
This one, being I would imagine a bit more decorative would possibly have been designed for sporting use, or for someone of higher standing, but the match design Does appear very 'western' and can only imagine this is Sangster's work.

best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote