Thread: Kukri
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
spiral

Very Nice kukri Tatyana, I seem to recall I was a bidder as well! But times were hard so I didnt win.

I couldnt date it accuratley, most steel handles seem late 19th to around 1925 in manufacture. The decoration of blade is older in style & quality, but skillful kami could copy older styles. But yes it could possibly be as early as 1850/60 i think. Its definatly a good one.

its Indian made not Nepalese I am sure.

What did you use to etch it?

The crescent mark is sometimes refered to as Nepali officers or Armoury mark. They may wel have used such marks, but none have shown up in provinaced examples to date from Nepal. Personlay same as the Kaudi I think it is typical of other Hindu arms & is of Spiritual or religios significance to protect the kukri & its user from the malevolent spirits that are attracted to bloodshed & violence.

The kaudi shape is often interpreted as based on Christian cross & is seen on many British officers private purchase kukri, but I would say its actualy a Peacock kaudi which has many meanings in Hinduism including bieng symbolick of the God of war.

Congratulations on a great kukri!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote