View Single Post
Old 14th April 2005, 05:56 PM   #18
spiral

Hi Folks, Thanks for all the kind words! Glad you like them.

Mark those big fat A** kukri are about 2ft blades! Main battle pieces for sure.

JP The condition is not to bad, no dust & some occasional surface rust, they have a light wiping of cosmoline on them that makes them look worse/dirtier than they realy are.

But Considering ther age most of them are excelent! You or I would be very happy to grace our collections with them.

I prefer them to the over buffed kukris that the Winchester Gurkha museam has myself. { but realise others tastes may differ.}

The cases are nailed & screwed shut so I guess, they arnt planning on cleaning them very often. I Guess security is paramount.

The Nepalis seem to regard rust & dust as a natural part of life & are not carrying the same concepts about that, that many westerners do. Some of the old kora & military kukri in the villages would make you cry.

Andrew, We saw hundreds of kora & kukri in Nepal but I think only 2 kora had that type of fretwork.

Radu, Good questian ,the answear according to our Nepalese/Indian sources will be part of our report. The kukri is more of a development than a creation though.

Derek, Kora no.5 is probably for beheading, maybe at Dasien it is rather a heavy beast, most of the kora in the museam are definate light weight fighters though.

Rick, It may not be a masterpiece of epic proportions but hopefully it will provide many interesting facts, previously unobtainable in the west.

cheers,
Spiral

P.S.

I will pick out a few more pix later to post, hard to do though as I have 400 pix though of mainly kukri ,kora, kukri making, etc. from our trip.

would any of you guys like me to sort out a CD of pix if I can? or perhaps I can post them on my webspace? Ill have to look into it.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote