Thread: Rode the 600
View Single Post
Old 5th November 2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Thought this might be mildly interesting. From UK national. The chap pop off 1920.

Sure Jim will enjoy reading.

WOW!!! Tim you know me way too well
In my earliest years of collecting, I was compelled to British cavalry sabres as my obsession with "The Charge of the Light Brigade" seemed to dominate every thought. I do remember this mans name in the accounts and records I read.
It is such a tragedy of not only this terribly misbegotten charge and the brave men who died simply following orders, but that, as in the case of Mr. Olley, he was forgotten by the military and those he served and reduced to poverty. It is altogether too common a thing, and something I regret to say I have seen firsthand. Having said that, I dont want to begin an editorial here, just thought it applied to the article and hope others perceive it as cause for remembrance.

Thank you so much for sharing this Tim!
As always, it would be fascinating to see some examples of the swords carried by the 'Gallant Six Hundred" and the words of Tennyson are still emblazoned in my head!!

Anybody out there got the British M1829 light cavalry sabre, carried by the famed Light Brigade? Also, it is known that a few of the M1853 cavalry sabres may have made it into this battle at Balaklava, though the issuance and full replacement hadn't been completed by October 1854.

Excellent Tim! Thank you again,
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote