Thread: Repair
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2007, 11:03 PM   #35
A. G. Maisey

Jason, I've discussed this matter with Naga Sasra, and we have agreed that it is probably better that I answer your questions, since I was involved in the job.

The wrongko was wrapped in a damp cloth, that was kept damp, until the poorly glued joint separated, the old glue was then removed with acetone and mechaincally. The wrongko was then allowed to slow dry--I forget how long, but probably a couple of weeks---and I joined the major break with 5 minute Araldite tinted with burnt umber. I opted to do this part of the repair myself, because the 5 minute Araldite available in Indonesia does not seem to be as good as we can get here in Australia, because I have had much more experience in the use of Araldite than anybody I know in Jawa, because I know my work of this nature will stand the test of time and I have had unfortunate experiences with similar large breaks that have been repaired in Jawa.

The wrongko was then taken to Solo and given to a man whom I consider to be the best tukang wrongko working today. He cut small pieces of dark timoho from old, unrepairable wrongkos in his stock, and as Erik has explained, joined them as if he were doing marquetry.I do not know what adhesive he used. A couple of very small chips in the wrongko being repaired were filled with button shellac. Some minor reshaping of the profile was carried out.

The finish is a traditional french polish, but instead of the high lustre finish, a "dop" finish has been used.

I hope this satisfactorily answers your questions.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote