View Single Post
Old 8th September 2009, 05:28 AM   #8
M ELEY

Thanks for all the references on this obscure subject, guys.
Jim, the book I read was written by a native Texan who knew the Bowie family in the early part of the 20th century and dug through carefully documented information as well as the typical family information handed down over time. Even many of the surviving members don't question that Black invented the so-called Bowie knife, but it sounds to me that Jim was definitely the one who made it famous. The gentleman's book claims that Bowie knew Lafitte very well, using his connections on the Black Market to sell slaves. It's interesting you mention the notching in the top of the bowie knives. A few years back, I had that strange, unidentified bowie with the notched back, huge bowie blade, MOP grips, brass sheath with S Amer decorations (Gaucho on horse with lance, crane belt hook just like found on Gaucho knives). Much debate on that piece never came to a solid conclusion even among the experts (I sent it off to Mr Flayderman down in FL. He liked it very much, but was cryptic in his response about it. His exact words were, he didn't want "to get in a bidding war over it"- ) Others said Confederate, Amer Southwest, Mexican...Ended up trading it for that lion-hilt sword. sorry to drone on about it, but it was the only true bowie I ever chanced upon.
Pallas, the mere mention of river pirates gets my attention! I had never heard of the Harpe Brother and i do appreciate the information. I'll have to look into this more...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote