View Single Post
Old 12th April 2014, 07:04 PM   #152
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasanna Weerakkody
Fernando, We know that the Sinhala texts use the term Kasthana as early as mid 1500's; yet as you say no reference to Kasthana in Portuguese texts. may be this is evidence that indicate that the origin of the name Kasthana did not have a Portuguese root and Portuguese used a different term to describe it.
The use of Calachurro hilts as an example of the excellence of casting skill would not only indicate that the Calachurro hilts were metal but was in some way a challenging task to cast. - Like a Kasthana hilt ??? ...
It is easy to support that the term Kasthana is not Portuguese; they were long gone by then. Besides, the word has no Portuguese characteristics, with its "K" letter and "th" spell. On the other hand we must remember that Calachurro is quoted by chroniclers as a name given by the locals, Lascarins for the case. We admit the usual corruption of the term to make it soundable in portuguese, which indeed so happens, but the term root is Sinhalese, whatever its local spell was. We may go into the fantasy of the name Calachurro being later changed to Kasthana due to its elevation from a field weapond to symbolic status, also influenced by dialect differences.
But then, i am potentialy talking nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasanna Weerakkody
... Hope one day would get to see the excellent material available to you- which sadly is rare down here. ...
Well, you can have in any case the paper i have quoted, written in portuguese; who knows some day you manage to submit it to translation. In the meantime you may enjoy period drawings of Adam's peak, the Buddha footprint and multiple plants of Pagodas and fortifications; even the area where the Vedas lived.
As the PDF was too heavy and beyond forum allowance, i took the libverty to send it to your email address. I hope it gets there.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote