Thread: Visayan oddity
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2005, 03:06 AM   #13
zelbone

Default Dagas, Kutsilyso, Lansitas, punyals...whatever

Yo, Morningstar! I figured you'd get a lot of "what is it?" responses to your plamingko. It goes to show you that not every Visayan sword is a talibong, ginunting, garab, or sansibar. You and I know that there are even more sword forms in the Visayas that most people have never heard of or seen. The plamingko is one stealthy blade...kinda reminds me of a Moro barung. And those two bolos you posted are the same one's the guys picked up in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental...probably made around Bacolod. The guy's love them...makes me regret not picking one up .

Spunger...
Dude...you know I'm not Cebuano! I'm Batangueno/Aklanon!

Anyways, here's a few dagas (ok kutsilyos) from the Visayas...mostly Ilonggo. The first three are deity hilt tenegre dagas. The top one was posted earlier with the bilog blade which is chisel-edged. The center daga has a triangular blade which is flat on one side and beveled on other side. The double-deity hilt has a regular double beveled blade. The other three daggas are non-tenegre or deity forms. The top one has your typical Visayan (Ilonggo) hilt...blind tang and iron ferrule. The blade is also chisel-edged...it's flat on the other side. The scabbard looks more modern with a belt slide and is made of rawhide...some hairs are also still intact. The other two are kris dagas...the bottom one being quite long.
Attached Images

zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote