View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 11:35 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

This pamor has several names, the name in common usage in Solo is adeg siji > adeg = upright, siji = one.

"Sada saler" > sada = the middle rib in a palm leaf, saler = a generic counter word, same as in English we say "ten head of cattle", if we count wide flat, thin things like sheets of paper or leaves in Javanese (& BI) we say "ten saler of leaves" = "ten leaves". (In BI saler (J) = helai (BI))

"Sada Saler" has a lot of variations, all of which are wrong and due to either confusion or the Javanese tendency to play with words.

Some people call adeg siji "Sada Lanang". Many people find this name offensive, because "lanang" means "male, manly, masculine", and the derivative of "lanang" is "planangan", which means "penis", and in reference to this pamor motif it is easy to see why this name might be considered both appropriate and offensive.

Best to stay away from "Sada Lanang".

"Sada Saler" is often twisted into something else, and might be OK for social chit-chat between two native speakers of Javanese, but could be a trap for a non-native speaker.

"Adeg Siji" is clear, universally understood and offends nobody.

We also have "Adeg Telu" (J), "Adeg Tiga" (BI), "Adeg Gangsal"(J), "Adeg Lima" (J&BI), "Adeg Pitu" (J), "Adeg Tujuh" (BI) = adeg three, five, seven, as well as "Adeg Sapu" = "Upright Broom". So "adeg siji" fits in nicely.

In parts of Malaysia and in Brunei I believe this pamor has another name, but I've forgotten it, it is " --- Sebatang", I cannot remember the other word.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote