Thread: Dayak mandau
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
I have collected and studied Dayak material (comparisson) for years
May I ask which sources you used for your study?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
and as anywhere else in the world Borneo also consists of many (actually) different tribes -collectively called Dayak- with each their own styles, religions, habits and carvingtraditions. Although through migration and near borders these differences mingle, but . . . .one can still very much distinguish from an object with carving or a particular style from which area it orginates in Borneo.
I agree with the first part but about the last part I fully disagree. Therefore a lot of study will be needed from old museumcollections, old private collections and old books/articles/drawings/images.
Though a lot of museumpieces are not documented correctly. So a lot of homework will be needed, finding out who collected it in Borneo, and than find sources about the person trying to nail down the area of a piece. Than it's still very tricky... But when several sources from different collections point out at one area, one could assume you're on the right track...
Therefore it's very hard to explain ethnographic weapon collecters in general in a few words to nail down origine of their mandaus, as you can see in previous mentioned lines.....
And the trading of parts (blades/handles/scabbards) were also done. You do need some knowledge about which tribes visits which tribes and also which tribes were in war with other tribes, which can sometimes be found in very little quotations in very old books...
So I definately won't agree it's very much distinguish to point out an area as you say!
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote