View Single Post
Old 19th July 2007, 04:49 PM   #7
spiral

Thanks Bill! Your a Gentleman.

I agree Mark/Josh well spotted I think your correct, theres is another portion of well mixed laminates in the waist.

I think It is double hairpin Josh but the unfortuanatly the 2 central laminations are broken & blunt near the point, the rest more outer ones although thin do meet although they also seem more amalgamated into the bright steel as well, perhaps due to the extra forging to get the final distal taper?

I guess the more central laminations are at a much more accute angle so are harder to join proerly?

The hairpins did come up very brassy in colour, I will do a more carefull etch another time perhaps, I think the sole reason the 30 second shallow etch showed up was due to whater iron or steel was used for the hairpins. I would love to know what it was. Only time Ive seen the intial degreasing look like a full etch!

I have got another much larger hairpin laminated kukri that I found a few years ago so there must be a few of them out there.

Iam not particularily expierieced at etching, Ive never used nitric acid, usualy just fruit juices & vinigar as i belive that what the Nepalis/Tibetans would most likely of used?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote