Thread: Tenegre
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

Something must be wrong with the thickness - 1.6mm would be flimsy and the pics suggest otherwise...

It doesn't look like it ever had a metal guard (requires a reasonably well filed blade where the tang meets) but guard disks made from horn were the norm. Does anyone has pics of tangs of such swords?

My best guess is that the blade got just sloppily fitted when the rehilting was done. Should be fairly easy to get a better fit if you reattach the blade.

Most likely these were kept polished/shiny. Nothing wrong to go by personal preference though, I guess.

I'd remove the blade (modern glue) and give it a quick etch: it looks nice enough to possibly be laminated. If it is, some more polishing and careful etching might be warranted.

Regards,
Kai

Hello Kai,

you are correct, my mistake by the thickness of the blade, 6,1 mm is the correct measurement.
I will dismantling the handle and follow your advice about etching and reattaching the handle.
The compression at the blade tip was very very minor, like someone bump the blade on the ground, look the picture, the shape of the blade isn't changed.

Thank you very much,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote