View Single Post
Old 8th September 2014, 07:45 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the keris forum Sid!
I'm not sure i see need for "restoration" here, but this certainly seems to be a bit of a mix bag.
Firstly, that is a fabulous ivory donoriko style hilt from Madura. From your photos i am not convinced that your blade is not also from Madura, though it could be Javanese, which would make it correct for the sheath. But there is something that doesn't look quite right for a Javanese blade in the profile and it looks like the gandik area slants inward towards the blade which could indicate a Madura origin. However the sheath is clearly a formal style (ladrang) Surakarta style from Jawa, so you are right that it does not match the hilt. I see nothing wrong with the open style pendok on the stem that would require replacement. Perhaps you could try to polish it up a bit. That hilt cup is not a mendak btw and is indeed incorrect for this style of hilt and sheath.
The blade is a nice one. Can't see any rust and i wouldn't bother restraining from the looks of its current condition, but it does look like it could use a good oiling.
It seems a shame to swap out such a beautiful hilt, but more correct for the sheath form would be a simple planar style hilt like the one below. I would also look for a new mendak. You can often find these parts reasonably priced on eBay.
Styles change, but i would suggest you find a hilt in a wood either equal to or darker than the wood of the sheath (wrongko).
Though the hilt is in the wrong orientation in this photo (it should face directly over the front end of the sheath, this is a fine example of what would work best with this sheath form.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote