Thread: Nias Keris (?)
View Single Post
Old 4th July 2010, 01:55 AM   #15
kai

Smile

I agree that the issue of Nias keris is pretty much borderline and not well researched yet.

There are Nias chiefs who did wear real keris as status symbols (cp. Fig. 209 in Karsten's kris disk). These seem to be confined to northern Nias and were most likely gifts from Sumatran and Bugis rulers who wanted to establish good relations and trade (slaves were the most sought-after "commodity" from Nias).

Then there are typical si euli which generally(?) have single-edged blades and scabbards based on Minang Kabau sewar (long protrusion extending at a right angle at the edged side of the blade as well as an angled foot); typical for Nias is the addition of a ring-like feature at the other side of the scabbard throat (for attaching chains with bells and a set of tools like tweezers, ear spoon, etc.) and the ample use of brass rather than silver or suasa. Hilts come in different types: niotu lutolu and nioloa uma (traditional Nias hilts based on stylized animal heads or maybe Lasara motifs), niobu kaka (Nias variant based on planar keris hilts), or niodanga wana (plainer hilt with the pommel angled at 45 degrees).

And last not least there are unique Nias "keris" as the example from the start of this thread: These have a unique scabbard type (obviously based on keris scabbards) with a cross-piece also exhibiting the attachment ring of the si euli as well as a typical ball-like carving at the other side. The hilt can either be of the planar hilt variant (as Arjan's example from the Tropenmuseum) or a large, curved hilt with disk-like finial (as in the first pic of this thread), often made from ivory. The blade may be single-edged or double edged and tends to be roughly forged (if genuine Nias work rather than traded). I'll try to add better pics of mine example to show details of the blade, etc. I'm not yet convinced that the name si euli traditionally applies to this keris-like dagger, too...

While the blade usually doesn't qualify as a keris, I believe we have to accept that these pieces were crafted to represent keris and to fulfill their adapted social function in (North) Nias society. Moreover, Nias culture wasn't much influenced by hindu (nor muslim) concepts and transplanting a cultural icon from its mother culture into the completely different Nias culture is bound to result in changes/omissions/adaptations which may not seem "correct" in the originating culture. However, I believe it would be fair to judge wether these are keris by examining this issue from a Nias point of view, too.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote