View Single Post
Old 21st October 2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

I admit that in these very high end auction catalogues which are clearly attended by equally high end and discerning collectors, I presume the attributions are accordingly vetted and correct.
This does not, as noted, answer the questions sought by students and scholars studying the weapons, asking why?

All best regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,

Like so many times before you took the words right out of my mouth - although, having been both a regular attender and buyer at such high end sales over the decades, I would tend to sort of relativize the broad and honorable expectation that 'the attributions are accordingly vetted and correct.' The general situation seems to be better with the renowned British houses but now and then even they feature items in their catalogs which are highly dubious at first glance to say the least (mostly swords and hafted weapons, I have to admit) and which sometimes make me go out and bet a friend that 'a special piece' will not be sold. Would these bets involve money instead of just being proved right I might be a rich man by now ...

I am trying not to either oversimplify or cherish national prejudices but the further south (and/or east) you get on the map the more generous, lavish, liberal and open to interpretation quality assignments in auction sales tend to get ... Sadly Germany seems to be about as far south and east as you will get ...

I have to admit that I had added some more icons originally, and not all of them smilies (though all from our official list), but a very nice, intelligent and far-seeing deus ex machina kept me from posting them.

With my very best wishes,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote